Barèges, the perfect spot for hiking and trail running !
Welcome to the Pays Toy Valley! Our region is a paradise for hikers and trail runners of all levels. You’ll have the opportunity to explore our diverse fauna, flora, history, and architecture by taking the numerous hiking trails from the village of Barèges or within a 30-minute drive. Don’t hesitate to take advantage of these opportunities to discover all the wonders that our region has to offer! We can’t wait to see you on the trails.
A digital hiking guide that’s simple and free.
www.rando.valleesdegavarnie.com is a website that’s entirely focused on hiking, whether you prefer walking, cycling, mountain biking, or trail running. You can easily find the perfect trail for you by searching via geographical area, elevation gain, difficulty, duration, and services. There are many advantages to using this site! You can print out your itineraries for free or check out your routes in offline mode, which is very practical when you’re in the mountains.
This application is great for both experienced hikers and beginners. You can get guidance on the main hiking trails around Barèges-Tourmalet, Cauterets, Gavarnie, Luz-Saint-Sauveur, the Vallée d’Argelès-Gazost/Hautacam, and the Val d’Azun, all directly from your smartphone or tablet.
It’s also available on GooglePlay and the App Store.
If you’re looking for additional resources to help you plan your hikes, Mariano’s Pyrénées topos are very well documented and provide all the necessary information for a successful hiking experience.
Here are some hiking ideas to add to your list.
Starting Your Hike in Barèges and around
For leisurely walkers:
- From the campsite, take the Trait Nature Trail, an easy path leading to the chapel of Saint Justin. Bring pencils or brushes if you enjoy watercolor painting. Along the way, there are educational themed drawing boards. This beautiful walk offers a magical view over the entire Barèges valley!
- Towards the Lienz plateau: This easy hike from Barèges takes you through the Ayré forest to the Lienz plateau, where you can enjoy the inn of chez Louisette. Along the path, there is a permanent photo exhibition. This experience allows you to connect with nature while discovering outdoor works of art.
- Oncet Lake: Depart from the Tourmalet road to Lake Oncet, below the Pic du Midi de Bigorre. The round trip takes 2H30.
- Cirque de Gavarnie, Cirque de Troumouse or Estaubé Circus and its tour of the Gloriettes lake: In the valley towards Gavarnie, several easy walks are accessible to the whole family.
Walker / Hiker Level:
- The Montagne Fleurie: This hike starts in the center of Barèges and takes you on the slopes of the Montagne Fleurie, crossing the Capet forest and its avalanche barriers. You can enjoy a stunning view of the entire Barèges valley, the Néouvielle, and the Col du Tourmalet. Its slopes are home to a wide variety of flowers, such as the Pyrenean iris and the Martagon lily.
- The Glère Refuge and its Mountain Lakes: This hike from the Lienz plateau lets you explore the multitude of small lakes above the Glère Refuge and under the Néouvielle. (For the most experienced, you can climb up to the Turon du Néouvielle at 3000m altitude. This is a difficult level hike.)
- The Aygues Cluses Valley (GR10) from Barèges: This hike starts from the Grand Tourmalet station and takes you to the beautiful Aygues Cluses valley. You will follow the stream between groves of hook pine, lawns, and rhododendrons up to the new refuge. For the most motivated hikers, you can continue to the peak of Madamète and its small lakes all along the way and enjoy the unique view towards the largest Aubert and Aumar lakes of the Néouvielle reserve. This is a difficult level hike.
- The Brèche de Roland in the Cirque de Gavarnie: This is a high-altitude hike on high-mountain terrain in the magical setting of the Cirque de Gavarnie. It should not be underestimated, as it leads towards the most emblematic border crossing of the Pyrenees.
- Tuquerouye Refuge in the Estaubé Cirque: This hike starts from the Gloriettes dam and leads to the Tuquerouye pass.
- All the 3000m peaks around Gavarnie, Troumouse, and Cauterets are recommended.
Here are some tips for successful hiking in partnership with the Pyrenees National Park: http://www.pyrenees-parcnational.fr/fr/actualites/reussir-sa-rando
Trail Running: Trails that Lead to the Summits!
Barèges is the perfect destination for trail runners seeking adventure in a magnificent natural environment (Pic du Midi, Néouvielle massif, Gavarnie…). The trail courses offer varied challenges for runners of all levels, satisfying everyone’s expectations. Trail running in Barèges is an unforgettable experience for nature lovers who want to step out of their comfort zone and discover new horizons.
Did you know that 13 races are organized every year in our territory? The Valleys of Gavarnie also have 34 permanent trail routes to be discovered independently through the dedicated application.
Trail Running races starting from Barèges
If you are a nature lover, you will be delighted to learn that there are two trail running races scheduled in Barèges: the Trail des fleurs in mid-July and the Trail Barèges – Pic du Midi – Barèges in September. This is an incredible opportunity to enjoy the beautiful landscape of the Barèges valley. Don’t miss it!
Did you know that 13 races are organized every year in our territory? The Valleys of Gavarnie also have 34 permanent trail routes to discover on your own thanks to the dedicated app.
The Grand Raid des Pyrénées Ultra-Trail
In the Hautes-Pyrénées, the Grand Raid des Pyrénées (GRP for insiders) offers 6 courses ranging from 40 to 160 or 220 km, depending on the year. These courses have 2,400 to 13,000 meters of positive elevation gain and are a true adventure in the land of the Pic du Midi and the Cirque de Gavarnie.
What to do after the hike?
To recover before a sporting event or after a hike or mountain race, the Ciéléo thermal SPA in Barèges is the perfect place to relieve your body! Thermal water can alleviate muscle tension, soreness, and inflammation thanks to its multiple properties. Treat yourself to a moment of relaxation and regeneration after your efforts!
Our campsite is the ideal starting point to explore the peaks of the region at your own pace. We offer various accommodation options to meet all your needs, from nature camping in a tent or camper van, to an authentic, comfortable wooden chalet for a luxurious stay. Book your stay now at our campsite and discover all the wonders our region has to offer.