Welcome to Lourdes and its sanctuary
Lourdes, a destination that will inspire you for a lifetime
Are you searching for a place to embark on a spiritual and cultural journey? We highly recommend Lourdes! A warm and welcoming city located at the entrance of the Gavarnie Valley. Lourdes is renowned globally for its spirituality and fraternity, attracting six million travelers annually from all corners of the world. These pilgrims come to pray and contemplate the Massabielle cave, where the Virgin Mary appeared to Bernadette Soubirous in 1858, forever transforming the destiny of the city. Come and experience Lourdes, an unforgettable destination that will stay with you forever.
Welcome to the Sanctuary of Lourdes!
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes is a breathtaking place that welcomes visitors from all over the world throughout the year. It’s a unique place that you won’t find anywhere else in the world.
At the Sanctuary, you’ll find many historic treasures that we invite you to explore:
- The Crypt tells the fascinating story of Lourdes.
- The Basilica of Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception (Upper Basilica) is home to stunning stained-glass windows that depict the history of the Apparitions or the dogma of the Immaculate Conception.
- The Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary features Roman-Byzantine architecture and offers beautiful chapels covered with mosaics depicting the Mysteries of the Rosary.
- The Basilica of St. Pius X is elliptical in shape, built entirely underground, and boasts three sets of gemstone panels.
- The Massabielle Grotto is where the apparitions occurred, and where the source discovered by Bernadette is located.
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Lourdes is a peaceful and spiritual place. Take some time to soak up the atmosphere and enjoy your prayers. Don’t forget to make a wish!
The Pic du Jer
Hello! Have you heard about the majestic Pic du Jer? It’s a beautiful mountain that offers a 360° view of Lourdes, Tarbes, Pau, the Argelès-Gazost valley, and the Pyrenean peaks. To reach the summit at 900 meters above sea level, you can take a century-old funicular that is an attraction in itself. And once you’re there, a walk on the trail will take you to the viewpoint for this breathtaking view.
If you are a mountain bike fan, you’ll be happy to know that the Pic du Jer is also a hosting site for international competitions and offers three different tracks for all levels. But if you prefer walking, Lourdes is also the perfect starting point for many hikes.
Have you considered booking your stay at Camping La Ribère yet? You won’t want to miss out on the wonders of this extraordinary region of the Pyrenees! Plus, we’re just a quick 30-minute drive away from Lourdes!